Feeding for the Future
Efficient rearing of calves, especially rearing of heifer calves is critical as they are the future of the dairy herd. Well
raised heifer calves will gain their full genetic potential as mature animals. Good feeding and a good health and
hygiene program are the basis to successful calf and heifer rearing.
FOUR PHASES OF FEEDING
• 0-3 Months
• 3-6 Months
• 6-9 Months
• 9-15 Months
• The calf must drink colostrum within 2 hours after birth and should be fed with colostrum during the first 3 days
at a rate of 2 litres 2 times a day.
• Allow the calves free access to clean water after 1 week of age, with hold water for 2 hours of milk feeding.
• Feed each calf at fixed hours and fixed quantities.
• After the 5th day of age, also feed the calves with MONTI
FEEDS CALF STARTER PELLETS .
• During the 3rd week, feed the calves some good quality hay, enewing it every day if necessary.
• Wean the calves after the 8th week, after he MONTI FEEDS CALF STARTER PELLETS consumption goes up to 1kg a
day during 3 consecutive days.
GENERAL MANAGEMENT GUIDE
• Colostrum is very important to the well being of the newly born calf. The calf must receive enough colostrum
within 2 hours of birth.
• Equipment used for feeding MILKO, water and feed must be kept clean and sterile at all times.
• Housing for young calves must be warm, protected from wind and rain and be cleaned on a regular basis.
• MISTRAL powder can be used to keep the environment dry, clean and sterile
• A good health, dipping and vaccination program must be followed at all times.
• MONTI FEEDS CALF MEAL must be fed with a good quality hay at all times.
• Intake of MONTI FEEDS CALF MEAL will be ±2-3kg/calf/day.
• MONTI FEEDS COMPLETE CALF MEAL or MONTI FEEDS CALF GROWTH MEAL can be fed on pasture at 3Kg/calf/
day. It is advisable to offer extra hay to the animals as well.
• It is very important to keep heifers growing well in this phase
• A good high quality protein MONTI FEEDS DIET should be fed and depends on the grazing conditions at different
times of the year.
• Heifers can be run on good quality summer veld, on pasture or fed good hay and silage
INTAKES SUGGESTED ARE TO BE USED ONLY AS GUIDELINES TO FEEDING
AGE & INTAKES OF MONTI FEEDS CALF STARTER PELLETS
0-2 weeks 1Kg
2-4 weeks 4Kg
4-6 weeks 9Kg
6-8 weeks 17Kg
8-10 weeks 25Kg
10-12 weeks 34Kg
• At weaning calves must be grouped together according to age and size and kept in small paddocks
• Fresh, clean water as well as shade must be available at all times
• MONTI FEEDS SEMI COMPLETE CALF MEAL must be fed ad lib. This meal contains good quality roughage and
should be fed up to 6 months of age. Extra hay should always be available.
• Intake on MONTI FEEDS SEMI COMPLETE CALF will be ±2-3Kg/calf/day.